Wednesday, June 23, 2010




This weeks module was very interesting. I designed maps based on a couple's criteria for relocation to Alachua County, Fl. Designing the maps based on weighted values, such as; home cost, distance from work or school and majority of age group in certain areas is very usefull. My only issue was that I could not figure out how to display the actual median home value as opposed to the 1-9 scale. At the end of the semester I am planning on relocating back to the West Coast, and recreating this project for my family will help in the decision process. My daughter will be starting kindergarten next year, my wife is a nurse and I will be looking for GIS firms. So developing a similar map with GIS jobs, hospitals and A+ schools and even crime rates, will help in determining which neighbor hood to pursue.

1 comment:

  1. Cool! Let me know how your research/analysis goes. My oldest daughter also starts the big K next year too. Great job on the project, btw.

    ReplyDelete